Any organisation is only the sum part of its members and we sincerely hope you join us at Whitstable Maritime and help Whitstable Maritime to grow. Today we are just a fledgling organisation, but tomorrow is another day – and we have lots of ideas and projects that will help put Whitstable and indeed our Kent area on the map – and as its Friend you will have a rewarding and enjoyable time in the process. Whether you are an expert sailor, a novice, dislike sailing, have a maritime skill, don’t have one, interest in the local maritime environment - be it historical, current or future - or just a nice person, we have something to offer you. We need you!
Become a Friend ...
- celebrate Whitstable's connections with the sea; past, present and future.
- create a Maritime Discovery Centre and Coastal Trail
- restore, maintain and sail local historic craft
- establish an annual programme, including a Maritime Arts and Artisans exhibition and a Barge and Smack race.
Programmes will apply new and alternative technologies as appropriate and offer enjoyable activities for residents, visitors, school children or students.
Friends of Whitstable Maritime also gain early access to tickets for out events, like the spectacular Summer Oyster Party.
Either contact us using the form on this page for more information or become a friend right now for just £10!
Become a Tutor ...
- develop a stimulating programme of activities for residents, visitors, school children and students to enjoy
- lead activities that explore the town's connections with the sea; past, present and future along six themes:
- Impact of man and nature on the coast
- Fish and shellfish from sea to plate
- Marine industries; past, present and future
- Seamanship and navigation
- Coastal Trail
- Alternative energy
All tutors will need to demonstrate their ability to communicate effectively with children and adults, as well as having a good grasp of their subject matter and meeting safeguarding criteria.
Become a Volunteer ...
- residents, visitors, school children and students enjoy exploring the town's connections with the sea; past, present and future, at a visitors centre, along the foreshore and afloat.
- create an effective not-for-profit Social Enterprise established to raise awareness of, and build on, the town's maritime traditions
- strengthen the team of volunteers by offering your experience and expertise
Volunteers are required in a wide range of fields, from marketing to carpentry, from fund-raising to under-water technology.
If you are interested in becoming a Friend, Tutor or Volunteer and would like more information, please fill out the form below and a member of the team will be in touch.
Or, you can just become a Friend right now!