Any organisation is only the sum part of its members and we sincerely hope you join us at Whitstable Maritime and help Whitstable Maritime to grow. Today we are just a fledgling organisation, but tomorrow is another day – and we have lots of ideas and projects that will help put Whitstable and indeed our Kent area on the map – and as its Friend you will have a rewarding and enjoyable time in the process. Whether you are an expert sailor, a novice, dislike sailing, have a maritime skill, don’t have one, interest in the local maritime environment - be it historical, current or future - or just a nice person, we have something to offer you. We need you!
Become a Friend ...
- celebrate Whitstable's connections with the sea; past, present and future.
- create a Maritime Discovery Centre and Coastal Trail
- restore, maintain and sail local historic craft
- establish an annual programme, including a Maritime Arts and Artisans exhibition and a Barge and Smack race.
Programmes will apply new and alternative technologies as appropriate and offer enjoyable activities for residents, visitors, school children or students.
Become a Tutor ...
- develop a stimulating programme of activities for residents, visitors, school children and students to enjoy
- lead activities that explore the town's connections with the sea; past, present and future along six themes:
- Impact of man and nature on the coast
- Fish and shellfish from sea to plate
- Marine industries; past, present and future
- Seamanship and navigation
- Coastal Trail
- Alternative energy
All tutors will need to demonstrate their ability to communicate effectively with children and adults, as well as having a good grasp of their subject matter and meeting safeguarding criteria.
Become a Volunteer ...
- residents, visitors, school children and students enjoy exploring the town's connections with the sea; past, present and future, at a visitors centre, along the foreshore and afloat.
- create an effective not-for-profit Social Enterprise established to raise awareness of, and build on, the town's maritime traditions
- strengthen the team of volunteers by offering your experience and expertise
Volunteers are required in a wide range of fields, from marketing to carpentry, from fund-raising to under-water technology.
If you are interested in becoming a Friend, Tutor or Volunteer, or would like more information, please fill out the form below and a member of the team will be in touch.